Interested in Volunteering Towards a Social Cause? Read on…
Posted by Katie Nathan
Chennai Volunteers (CV) is a social organisation that promotes the values of volunteering, while building and reinforcing volunteer networks in Chennai. CV facilitates the process of bridging the gap between the citizens of Chennai and credible nonprofit organizations with their relevant causes, while enhancing the experience of volunteers simultaneously.
CV plans to leverage the online medium with a dynamic web portal. Visitors while in Chennai, as volunteers, can find various opportunities to share and care, members can find local/international partners and NGOs can share resources and exchange best practices, 24×7.
- Facilitates Volunteerism
- Assists NGOs
- Drives Attitude Change
Why Chennai Volunteers?
As a volunteer, looking for suitable volunteer opportunity, we often face lack of clarity about NGO’s & volunteering. Some questions that we seek answers for:
Are they legitimate? Will they ask me for money? Will I need to give time more than what I have? Is the NGO far away? Will NGO ask me to do work which I do not wish to do? Do I have to possess any particular skills to be able to volunteer? What is in it for me?
If someone is very interested, today he or she has to do a lot of research and take some chances. CV has done the ground work already. Be it the organization, the volunteer or an institute, CV is a portal which will connect all together, creating a benefitting situation and a satisfactory feeling for all.
Volunteering is the practice of people working for others or a particular cause without payment for their time and services. Volunteering, along with the right intentions, does not have to be a difficult task anymore. You can extend your support in many ways:
- Skilled support – like medico, psycho social, counseling, teaching, care giver etc. You could use your career / livelihood skills to your benefit here.
- Recreational – Spending time with the children or old people, story telling, teaching them dance, paint, theatre, etc. You don’t have to possess any skills but carry your heart full of love to want to spread and share joy and fun.
- Administration, Management and Operational activities for the organization. One does not always have to spend time with the beneficiary directly to volunteer. You could also support the organization in their Admin chores, so that they can focus on the cause they support.
- Fundraising, Event Management and Marketing. A constant need for all the small and big organization, in able to sustain their cause.
- Promote the cause, promote volunteerism and mobilize friends, family and neighbors. Where you are too pressed with time and other commitments, you could play the silent volunteer by just talking about the cause and sharing the messages.
How will CV support?
CV supports, facilitates and makes volunteering easy for you.
Be it a click away online, or organizing you on the grounds, CV helps you by:
- Matching your skills with the volunteering requirements
- Matching your interests with the Volunteering Opportunities
- Create an online platform for connecting with fellow volunteers
- Create opportunities to celebrate any special occasion like B’days etc, with our NGO partners and their beneficiaries.
- Creates opportunities for remote skilled volunteering
How you can become a Chennai Volunteer
By following these simple steps:
- Log on to http://www.chennaivolunteers.org, or sign into our Face Book page : – http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chennai-Volunteers/145595725525925 and email us.
- CV will email you a Volunteer Information form. Once you fill in the same and mail it back to CV, CV will guide you through the voluntary requirements at the various NGOs.
- You can find volunteering opportunities according to your interest, time availability and NGO preference
- Go through an orientation on the interested activity / NGO
- Know your focal NGO coordinator, and get into action
- After completion, provide Chennai Volunteers with your valuable feedback and continue volunteering
Or just send CV an email and CV will guide you through.
49 Eldams road, Chennai – 600 018
T: +91 44 66097766, F: +91 44 66097710
Posted on February 3, 2012, in Editors Corner and tagged charity, chennai, Chennai Volunteer, ngo, Non-governmental organization, volunteer, working for a social cause. Bookmark the permalink. 37 Comments.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.