US Student Visa – Important Points from the US Consulate General, Chennai

Students travelling to USA for higher studies, please note the points given by the US consulate to make your Visa process and stay in US  easy and comfortable.

The U.S. Consulate General, Chennai held a webchat on student visas in December 2011 with Vice Consul Michelle Zjhra, who was joined by U.S.-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) representative Brindha Balachandran.  Here are some highlights from the chat:

  • When coming in for your interview, bring in your I-20, yrour SEVIS, DS-160 form and your individual mark sheets.
  • Be articulate about what you want to do.

  • When applying for a student visa, remember: you need to show the ability, the intent and the means to pursue higher education in the United States.
  • It’s really important to find the right university for you – one that fits your experiences and finances.  USIEF can help.
  • It’s also important to attend an accredited school.  To find out if your university or school is accredited, go to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation’s website,, and enter your school’s name.
  • Once you get a student visa, you may enter the U.S. no more than30 days before your program of study begins.
  • Register with your Designated School Official (DSO) within 30 days of your program start date. Your DSO is an important contact.  You should always notify your DSO if:
    • You change your major, program or degree level
    • You plan to transfer to a new school or take a leave of absence
    • You move to a new address
    • You need a program extension
  • Before traveling outside the U.S., have your I-20 form signed by your DSO.
  • Attend and pass your classes.
  • Maintain a full-course load.
  • Online or distant learning classes are limited to the equivalent of one class and may not exceed three credits.
  • Don’t work without authorization.  For work with authorization, employment must be a key part of an established curriculum and directly relate to your major area of study.

Posted on January 24, 2012, in Editors Corner, Education and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. An individual admitted in F-1 or M-1 status
    to study in the United States who is transferring
    between schools or programs is no longer regarded
    to be in student status if classes are not resumed
    within five months of the date of transferring out
    of the previous school or within five months of the
    date of program completion, whichever is applicable

  2. Love your Post….!!!!!!! thanks thanks thanks!!!! Keep it Up!

    Student Visa for USA

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: