Be a Part of Tamil Wikipedia, Participate in the Wikipedia Media Contest
To increase the quality of media content related to Tamil and Tamilians and to attract non-text contributors like photographers, graphic artists, animators, map and video makers to Tamil wiki projects, the Tamil Wikipedia team is currently running a Media contest.
- You can contribute original photos, animations, videos, graphs, maps, audio files related to Tamil and Tamils and win prizes.
- People from all over the world can participate
- The rules are simple and prizes are attractive (850 USD in total!)
- Winners will also be awarded wiki certificates
The TamilWiki Media contest is being organised
- To increase the quality media content related to Tamil and Tamilians in Wikimedia projects
- To attract non-text contributors like photographers, graphic artists, animators, map makers and videographers to Tamil wiki projects
Not everyone can write articles in Wikipedia. Some don’t have enough time to write articles while some may not like writing articles. But taking photographs or videos might be easier and preferable for them. They might also possess many multimedia files they have created in the past. Moreover the procedure for uploading files to Wikimedia has become simple now. So anyone can take part in this contest easily and contribute to Tamil Wiki projects.
By uploading the files to Wikimedia Commons – a sister project of Wikipedia, they can be be used not only in Tamil Wikipedia but also in other language wikipedias and other Wikimedia projects like Wiktionary, Wikibooks and Wikinews
- Uploaded files must be own works of uploaders.Copyright violations will be tagged and deleted (For more details : விக்கிப்பீடியா:பதிப்புரிமை)
- A contestant can upload any number of images; there is no upper limit
- Contest duration: November 15, 2011 – February 29, 2012
- Contest entries should be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. The file upload wizard in commons has been customised for this contest. Contestants should use this link for uploading their files. For upload guidelines and tutorials click here.
- Files that will be eligible for prizes:
- Files that can be used in pages/articles related to Tamil and Tamilians including:
- Photos of places where Tamils live
- Photos of Tamils and people related to Tamil studies
- Photos of Tamil heritage symbols, Tamil institutions, Tamil landscape, Species (plants and animals) in Tamil livingspaces
- Photos of Tamil heritage places, temples, places of worship, buildings etc
- Educational resources in Tamil; Files that can be used for teaching in Tamil – Maps, graphs, illustrations, diagrams, charts, audio and video files that contain explanation in Tamil
- Pronunciation files for Tamil words and phrases.
- Audio recordings of Tamil literary works
- Audio and Video recordings of Tamil cultural practices, arts, dances, sports
- Only the files ought to be related to Tamil and Tamilians. The contestants need not be Tamil. Non-Tamils can participate in the contest.
- File Formats that can be uploaded to commons:
- Images — jpg, png, svg, xcf, TIFF
- Vidoes — ogg theora (.ogv)
- Animation — .gif
- Audios — ogg vorbis (.ogg), .midi
- Files that are eligible for prizes will be rated with the following weightage – 50 % quality (resolution, clarity, elegance), 50 % utility value (How useful they will be in illustrating Tamil wiki pages and pages in other wikis)
- Uploaded files will be licensed under Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0 license
First Prize: 200 US $
Second Prize : 100 US $
Third Prize : 50 US $
Consolation Prize: 25 X 2 = 50 US $
Continuous contribution prizes : 100 X 3 = 300 US $
Special Prize: 150 US $ For an image/video/audio/map/graph related to Crafts and technologies of Tamils
Prize winners will also be awarded certificates. Prize winning entries will be displayed in main pages of Tamil Wiki projects
A contestant can win only one of the general category (First-Second-Third-Consolation) prizes. A winner among these four can also win in the continuous contribution and special prize categories. But a single entry can win only one prize. A prize winning entry in the general categories will not be considered for prizes in the continuous contribution and special prize categories.
Though prizes have been announced in US dollars for uniformity, the prize money is being held in Indian Rupees. Due to exchange rate fluctuations, there will be small changes in the final prize money distributed after the competition is over (March 2012)
- All contest entries/files should be uploaded to Wikipedia’s sister project Wikimedia Commons.
- All contestants should register in Wikimedia Commons and login using that ID
- Click the below link to upload files:
Posted on January 7, 2012, in Editors Corner and tagged photograph, Tamil, tamil contest, Tamil people, Tamil Wikipedia, tamilian, video, Wikimedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikimedia Foundation, Wikipedia, wikipedia media contest. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.